I have just finished this small art quilt. It is for a small competition in West Australia. It is a challenge competition, where they send a piece of fabric and you must use 75% of the fabric in your quilt. Great I thought, that will be a different challenge for me!. Until I received the piece of fabric and hated it!. It is a really blah pink colour with quite a boring print..uninspired right from the start!.
I have finished it ..finally..after many false starts, cutting up and restitching and thinking maybe I just wouldn’t do it!. I couldn’t just start again completely once I’d begun as of course I had to use the bit of fabric that I had already stitched and cut!. I still don’t really like this piece but here it is!
The theme was “City Scene” so I thought I’d try stitching the scene onto the pink to somewhat cover it’s blahness. there is actually a fair bit of detail in there, little park benches and people etc….it still didn’t really inspire me after finishing but as I said I now HAD to use it!. There mulitple layers with all the cutting and restitching, so it does have a fair bit of texture to it as well..which I do like!.. We weren’t allowed to alter the fabric in any way otherwise I think I may just have painted over it LOL. Anyway, there it is, warts and all.
On a more positive note, my “Looking Out the Window” quilt arrived home today from it’s sojourn at the National Wool Museum..it’s funny how you can get so emotionally attached to these things..I was very happy to see her back. 🙂